National Library of Cuba

      Comments Off on National Library of Cuba

This enclosure is in the field of constructions surrounding the seat of the revolution, but the institution as such was founded on October 18, 1901. Its initial location, among all those it had, was in the Castle of the Force and consisted of barely 3,151 volumes. It was not until 1949 that, on the initiative of Don Fernando Ortíz, the meeting of patrons decided to name the building that would be constructed years after the beginning of the laying of the foundation stone on January 28th of 1952 as the introduction of the works that officially ended on June 12th of 1957, when the delivery of the building was completed and thus the transfer from the National Library to the new building began to receive all the support required after January 1st of 1959 with the triumph of the Cuban Revolution.

Avenida 20 de Mayo, La Habana, Cuba